Aether (aka DJ Celtric) - Be the glitch in the matrix you want to see!

Aether , the dark matter of the new beginning. Active as DJ, collector & promotor since 1996. Former member of Belgian underground cre...

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Mild Horses - Ignorance To Enlightenment And Back Again

Mild Horses is the new-ish incarnation of Matthew Leuw, who was previously involved with Norwich noise-poppers Crest, skronky Brighton art-punks Coin-op and was the guitar playing half of the lo-fi electro pop group 2 Hot 2 Sweat.

New album out now!


What were your beginnings like?


I started making music in my teens experimenting with my friend's 4-track recorder and then graduated from that to playing in bands. I formed a band called Crest in Norwich who got quite a lot of press in the NME and Melody Maker in the late 90's and played by John Peel (which ticked off one of my life goals quite early on!), I then moved to Brighton and joined the band Coin-op in the early 00's who toured a bit, played with some great bands and recorded sessions for John Peel and Steve Lamacq on the BBC.
I moved back to Norwich again after I left Coin-op and released some records with the bands Cortez and 2 Hot 2 Sweat and started making music on my own, firstly under the name The Matthew Project and then Mild Horses. I made a Mild Horses EP in 2012, then had a massive break from doing any music until 2020 when I started making the album Ignorance To Enlightenment And Back Again which was released in 2021.
That brings us up to date!

What inspires you?

I have always loved creating and find inspiration everywhere, other music, books, films, the world around. I'm a massive music fan and have voraciously consumed it since first coming into contact with it when I was young. A lot of my early memories have a soundtrack and it helped that my parents both loved music.

Why do you make music?

Ever since I remember I've wanted to make music. I'm fascinated by the craft and the technology involved in creating it (although I'm not a massive gear nerd). I guess like anyone creative it's trying to find something that's otherwise missing, wanting to try and explain the world as I see it and just wanting to make a racket.

What's the album or track of yours you're most proud of, and why?

I was very pleased to release the album last year and at the time I was exceptionally proud of it. The closing track Gotta Light? is possibly the best encapsulation of what I've been trying to achieve.

What are your nearest plans?

I'm in the process of recording the second Mild Horses album (provisionally title Return To Dust) which should be released later in the year (in theory). I'm thinking of getting a song from it out sooner than that as a teaser, but I'm not quite there yet.

What would you like to say to the world?

It's a cliche and a bit twee, but I genuinely think everyone should do something creative. There is no greater feeling in the world than creating your own tiny universe and lighting it up!

What is your favorite drink?

Coffee for the AM
Margarita for the PM

***

Grab the album at
http://mildhorses.bandcamp.com/

Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment