Aether (aka DJ Celtric) - Be the glitch in the matrix you want to see!

Aether , the dark matter of the new beginning. Active as DJ, collector & promotor since 1996. Former member of Belgian underground cre...

Saturday, July 30, 2022

The Striped Bananas - Dreams Upon The Mast

Exploring phantom images of the inner psyche with catchy choruses and grooving rhythms.

Formed in 2010, The Striped Bananas have recorded and released 6 full length LPs.

What were your beginnings like?

Duncan: I started out in the school orchestra playing stand up bass. I then played in various rock bands throughout high school. I started seriously writing songs with a band called the Prix (pronounced pricks) that my good friend Devon was in. Devon actually plays drums on some of the tracks on our first Striped Bananas album. He played on the songs Broken Wings, Feels Like Love Inside and Into Your Eyes.

Tel and I met in 2009 and put the Striped Bananas together in fall 2010. Another high school friend, Andrew became our regular drummer up until this last album. We've had a lot of fun playing together over the years.

Chantelle: I started playing piano when I was five. This developed into a love for different kinds of music. I also sang in choir throughout high school. I gained a sense of harmony that we use in arranging The Striped Bananas vocals.

What inspires you?

Duncan: When I started songwriting my focus was on feelings and relationships. Recently I have been telling stories through my songs. The odd characters I find in history inspire me along with contemplating the cosmos. "Silver Heels" off our latest LP tells the story about a legendary dancer turned nurse in the Wild West. Another track "Daredevil of Niagara Falls" is the story of Tel's great-uncle Jean Lussier, who, in 1928, went over Niagara Falls in a rubber ball.

Chantelle: The beauty in nature and timeless stories of mythology inspire me. I'm also heavily influenced by psych folk artists like Gary Higgins and Linda Perhacs.

Why do you make music?

Duncan: It is an extension of my soul and I play to express myself. Music is also a way of connecting with both listeners and those that I make music with.

Chantelle: Music is a part of me that I want to express.It is enjoyable to be creative and share it with other people. I love working with Duncan!

What's the album or track of yours you're most proud of, and why?

Duncan: I'm going to cheat and answer this in 2 parts - early Striped Bananas and current Striped Bananas. The earliest record I am proud of is Lady Sunshine. It's the record when everything started to click. It blows my mind that we are coming up on 10 years since that came out. 

Current Striped Bananas - I am quite proud of our most recent record "Dreams Upon the Mast". I believe the title track has my best set of lyrics to date. 

Chantelle: "Octopus Eyes" off of our Pictures I Hear album. I really like the way the lyrics and groove came out on that song.

What are your nearest plans?

Duncan: We've got a gig at the CT Rocks festival in Danbury, CT on October 8th at the Sugar Hollow Taproom. We are collaborating with our Ukrainian friends Nameless again, this time with a song in English. That will hopefully be coming out in the fall. We are also working on our next LP.

What would you like to say to the world?

Duncan: It is always incredibly humbling when someone purchases one of our albums, listens to a song or I hear us on the radio. It is really touching that we have support. An enormous thank you to everyone that has supported us!

Chantelle: Don't be afraid to be yourself!

What is your favorite drink?

Duncan: I am always partial to a nice cup of tea.

Chantelle: I love a good apple cider.

***

http://thestripedbananas.bandcamp.com/

The Striped Bananas - Pictures I Hear - 2020 - Psychedelic Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment